Alternate Title: Colombian Infidelity Statistics
All Colombian women cheat – this is a common belief among expats in Colombia. I’ve been hearing it from gringos ever since moving to Bogota, but I dismissed it to sample bias — gringos meeting mostly girls of lower moral fiber. If you make friends partying in La Candelaria and Zona Rosa doing cocaine and ecstasy, what do you think you’re going to get?
In college I met almost exclusively family-type, “good girl” Latinas from the top 1% of social classes in Brazil to Peru. But you’re not going to meet those girls snorting coke at Ceci’s. So I thought the infidelity perception was an anomaly due to sampling bias.
But that changed over time. I think Latin America is a little more unfaithful than what Gringolandia would consider normal, which I attribute to the Catholic Church prohibiting divorce, and Colombia even more unfaithful than that, which I attribute to it being a den-of-sin kind of culture.
Then I came across this hard-copy article in El Tiempo from March of last year: América Latina, territorio infiel. The article says that not only does greater Latin America cheat a lot, but Colombia leads the region. How can I argue with the national letter of record?
Six of every 10 Latin Americans (63%) admit to having cheated at least once … Colombians seem to be the most unfaithful in the region … 66% of [Colombian] men and women admit to having cheated at least once.
The article isn’t as interesting as the statistics, and unfortunately the El Tiempo archive online doesn’t include those. So here are my picks, plus screenshots of the hard copy so you can see them all.
- 10.5% of Latin Americans would like to have sex more than seven times a week
- 9.2% of Latin Americans are currently cheating
- 45.2% of Latin women have never cheated
- 40.8% of Colombian women have never cheated
- 51% of Latin men have paid for sex
- 13.7% of Latin men’s first sexual experience was with another male
- 47.5% of Latin Americans have participated in trios or group sex
- 9.1% of Latin Americans currently participate in trios or group sex
- Colombian trio / group sex percentages are higher than greater Latin America
- 22.3% of Latin Americans had their first sexual experience before 16 years old
- 63% of Latin Americans grew up in homes where sex was never discussed
After reading this article, I started thinking about the dealings I’ve had with Colombian women, and I think a majority had boyfriends. From the very first Colombian girl I made out with to the current booty call.
So maybe there is something to the saying …
Click the images below to enlarge.
Support what Expat Chronicles is all about. Leave a tip to keep the laughs coming (and the news, insight and other stuff too).